sugar and spice. vodka and ice. that's what girls are really made of.




Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
IF YOU LIKE MY BLOG, THEN FOLLOW. DON'T ASK ME TO FOLLOW YOU BACK. (iHATE PEOPLE WHO DO THAT)
I WILL FOLLOW BACK VOLUNTARILY IF I LIKE YOURS IN RETURN.

Monday, August 23, 2010

72. Movie Marathon #2 Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

I discovered the book "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" from my boyfriend's little brother. He bought it from his school fair and it was a pretty interesting book. What I didn't know that it is a popular book nowadays. I had a friend who has the different volumes and I even saw my former students reading it. Few weeks later, the movie came out. I was like.... "I know this Wimpy Kid...". So it WAS that popular that they already made a movie about it! Is it just me? or am I really behind the trend? lol

So this movie, Diary of A Wimpy Kid is all about his life during middle school. Just like as I mentioned in my Toy Story 3 review, I did not grow up here so I didn't go through middle school. It was 7 years of elementary and 4 years of high school. Nothing in the middle.

My first thought about this movie. Man, this is ONE movie I won't let my kid watch before he actually reaches middle school. I don't know what middle school is really like, if it was exactly like what the movie is showing, (i.e. social groups in school) but I don't want my kid to watch this because I don't want him to start having weird imaginations on his head about middle school.

But I sort of agree that the first day of your school might determine how the rest of your year will be. I remember my first day of high school. It was a different school than my elementary school. I didn't want to start on by giving a bad impression to anyone. I had to step out of my comfort zone and be friendly for a change. I would like to describe myself as anti-social when I was in elementary and I had a few friends. Basically my friends would be my seatmates and my busmates. The year after if I had new classmates, then I would have new friends and forget the old ones. I didn't do it intentionally though, it was just because we had different schedules so it was more likely a relationship based on proximity. The people who you are with most of your time.

So when I transferred into a new school, I knew I had to change. As a new student, I didn't afford to choose friends of course, they were the ones to choose who would be their new recruit. It took until my junior year to really find a social group that fit me well. High school also had social classes, but it was really up to you how you would handle it. But eventually those borders that divided everyone and secluded each to their own group, diminished. When college came, it didn't matter anymore whether who's group of friends you were with in high school as long as you guys went to the same school. It was mostly now a judge of your own character, not really on which social group you used to hang out with back in high school.

Anyway, the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie reminds me of
Bowling For Soup's song "High School Never Ends".


4 Years you think for sure
That's all you've got to endure
All the (total dicks)
All the Stuck-up Chicks
So superficial, so immature

Then When you graduate,
Ya take a look around and you say "Hey Wait!"
This is the same as where I just came from,
I thought it was over, Aw that's just great.

The Whole Damn World is just as obsessed
With who‘s the best dressed and (who's having sex)
Who‘s got the money. Who (gets the honeys)
Who‘s kinda cute and who‘s just a mess

And you still don't have the right look
And you don't have the right friends
Nothing changes but the faces, the names, and the trends

High School Never Ends

Check out the popular kids
You'll never guess what Jessica did!
And how did Mary Kate (lose all that weight?)
And (Katie had a baby so I guess Tom's straight!)

And the only thing that matters,
Is climbing up that social ladder
Still care about your hair and the car you drive
Doesn't matter if you're 16 or 35

Reese Witherspoon, she's the Prom Queen
Bill Gates, Captain of the chess team
Jack Black, the clown
Brad Pitt, the quarterback

Seen it all before
I want my money back!


Now that song is a totally different story.

Wimpy Kid, Mean Girls, High School Musical... All about school social class... What were you in school?
If the outside world is a big school... which social group do you think you would belong NOW?

2 comments:

  1. I was always an outsider at school up until the age of about 16/17. I went through a lot of bullying but I wouldn't change a thing because it made me stronger and the girls who once made my life a misery actually started trying to befriend me. School sucks but everyone has to experience it and when you finish you lookback on it with some fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've experienced being bullied and errr bullying too..but the type of bullying im saying is just the suttle ones like picking on someone else or being picked on.

    but my experience in school made me learn how to ignore people who doesn't matter.

    yeah.. it does make you stronger :) it'll all about being yourself too.

    ReplyDelete

-------------------interactive thingies-------------------

Related Posts with Thumbnails